Capitol Visitors Center is a division of the State Preservation
Visitors Center is housed in the General Land Office Building. Built
in 1856-57, it is the oldest state office building in Texas. From
1858 to 1918, the building served as the headquarters for the General
Land Office (GLO), the agency charged with overseeing the vast tracts
of public lands in Texas.
In 1989, the
State Preservation Board initiated a renovation project to restore
the building. The building opened in 1994 as the Capitol Visitors
Center with the goal of educating visitors about the history of
Texas, the Capitol and the General Land Office. The State Preservation
Board now maintains the building and oversees the public programming
and retail operations within it.
Visitor's Center website is located at: http://www.tspb.state.tx.us/CVC/home/home.html