The Senate Chamber is located on the second floor east wing of the
Capitol. Restored to its c. 1910 appearance, the Senate Chamber
still contains the original walnut desks purchased in 1888 for the
Lieutenant Governor, Secretary of the Senate and 31 senators from
the A. H. Andrews and Company of Chicago. The beautiful brass chandeliers
are also original to the room.
of the Chamber's most impressive aspects is its collection of historical
Texas paintings. Between 1888 and 1915, fifteen paintings were placed
in the room. Behind the Lieutenant Governor's desk is a portrait
of Stephen F. Austin by an unknown artist, one of the oldest pieces
in the collection.