This lithograph was copyrighted by Charles N. McLaughlin with the
permission of Capitol Architect Elijah E. Myers and issued by W.
J. Morgan and Company Lithographers of Cleveland in 1885. Original
information available proclaimed that the building was to be a fire-proof
structure, classic in design. Its form approximates a Greek cross,
with projecting center and flanks. The rotunda and dome rise at
the intersection of the main corridors. Besides the basement and
dome elevation, it is three full stories in height. By 1888, the
Texas Capitol housed the entire Executive, Judicial and Legislative
departments of State government. Note the facade of the building
is very ornate; the as-built version is much simpler to accommodate
the change in building material from limestone to Sunset Red granite.