The State Treasury served as the state bank of Texas. Four vaults in the Treasurer's Business Office on the first floor south wing of the Capitol held the state funds. Tellers transacted business with representatives from all state departments at a long counter through the open windows of a steel bar partition. The State Treasury moved out of the Capitol in the early 1970s. Restored to its c. 1900 appearance, the office features a reproduction teller partition and a black and white, checkerboard-patterned linoleum floor as well as antique business machines. The Capitol Information and Guide Service offers free building tours from this location.

Photograph: Treasurer's Business Office, August 2015, State Preservation Board.


Full Screen Panorama