Home
Texas Capitol
Capitol Events
History
Restoration and Expansion
Preservation
Capitol Donations
You are in the Historic Photo Gallery
Current Photos
Historic Artifacts
Significant Spaces
Architectural Details
 
 
 
 
 

Grounds and Monuments
 
Photo of Capitol as seen from the southeast corner of the Grounds Photo of historic South Grounds and Great Walk Photo of Heroes of the Alamo monument

The Texas Capitol and approximately 22 acres of surrounding grounds and monuments are the physical and symbolic center of government for the State of Texas.

Bounded by city streets, the Grounds today provide an appropriate setting for citizens and visitors to approach and appreciate the majestic Texas Capitol. The Historic Grounds lie predominantly on the east, south and west sides of the building and are defined by a historical iron fence. In 1993, the completion of the Capitol Extension created an entirely new setting for the north side of the Capitol. The 1995-96 restoration of the historic South Grounds returned the park-like setting to its 1888-1915 appearance and updated vital systems such as fire protection, water-conserving irrigation, lighting and accessible walkways.

There are 19 monuments that surround the Texas Capitol. William Munro Johnson, civil engineer, was hired in 1888 to improve the appearance of the grounds. By the time the first monument, commemorating the Heroes of the Alamo, was installed in 1891, the major components of Johnson's plan were in place. These included a "Great Walk" of black and white diamond-patterned pavement shaded by trees. The four oldest monuments are the Heroes of the Alamo, Volunteer Firemen, Confederate Soldiers and Terry's Texas Rangers, and flank the tree-lined Great Walk.

To learn more about the grounds, visitors may take a self-guided tour. A brochure is available at the Information and Guide Service desk located in the first floor south wing of the Capitol, or at the Capitol Visitors Center. An online Monument Guide is also available.